[Hampshire] voip phones

Author: Edward Beckmann
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] voip phones
Hi

I'm dabbling with voip purely to have a second number without paying for a
second line rental. The key desire is to have the 'second' number ring on
the PC or phone when on wifi, and I simply want a handset that I can pick
up at the same time as music carries on playing on the PC (i.e. choose
internal audio for all programs except ekiga, which routes to phone
device). I actually do not plan to call out with voip - only answer
incoming calls but of course do need a mic!

So far:

- I have a free sipgate number which works with sipdroid on the phone
(galaxy ace)
- ekiga rings through the PC speakers (mint 9, soon to be mint LMDE). No
input device connected yet
- the old RTX cordless dualphone I used with windows / skype appears in
the ekiga settings as an input and output device but does nothing when I
set the options to use it

The ideal is of course to use the RTX. Second choice is to buy another
cordless phone designed to work with voip - you have 2 dial out buttons,
one for landline and one for PC.

If I can't use the RTX, there will be 2 going begging!
Thanks very much

--
Ed