[Hampshire] gnome Applications menu keyboard shortcut

Author: Rob Malpass
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] gnome Applications menu keyboard shortcut
Hi all

After several unsuccessful google searches, I have to ask.

Alt+F1 doesn't bring up the applications menu in gnome any more - does
anyone know how to reinstate it?

I'm using Ubuntu precise so it's presumably gnome 3 (quiet bee in my bonnet
that I've never really known how to tell which version of nautilus, gnome,
etc etc I'm using) and did the upgrade a while back. The reason (as I
recall) for alt+f1 not working is that compiz fusion has captured the alt
key but I can't find a page or a post anywhere that fixes it. Sadly I can't
find the page with the winning formula at the moment. Even removing compiz
fusion hasn't fixed it.

All I want to do is bring the applications menu up. If it's a different
shortcut now then fine - I'm not "wedded" to alt+f1 but if it's a "super
key" then I'm stuffed because my keyboard is 1994 vintage and has none of
these. So if that's the case, a workaround for that would be useful too.

As an aside, I think I must be entering my "grumpy old man" phase of tech.
I'm fed up with the Microsoft Ribbon, the seemingly never ending changes to
user interfaces that actually seem to introduce making things harder to do
than concentrate on functionality. grumble grumble
don't-get-me-started-on-the-latest-sky-hd-box-upgrade grumble grumble.

Cheers

Rob