Re: [Hampshire] OT: broadband router with DNS....

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OT: broadband router with DNS....
On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 10:57:04 +0000
Paul Stimpson <paul@???> wrote:

> My experience has been totally the opposite. The firmware supplied
> with my DLink 615 crashed multiple times a week and because they
> weren't making any more of that model and it was therefore a cost to
> them that wasn't being recovered in new sales, they showed no
> inclination to fix the problem.
>
> I upgraded to DD-WRT and it became a totally different unit. It
> became supremely reliable and gained features like 802.1x security
> and VLAN support that we had previously been spending over £1000 on
> Cisco access points to get. The project is still in development so is
> benefiting from the continued effort, despite the hardware having
> been long-discontinued.

This thread is of interest to me as I have a couple of D-Link
routers, one is an elderly DSL-504T and the second a DSL-2740R. The
second was bought as it provided local wireless connections but
whilst it worked perfectly for quite a long time a few weeks ago it
starting dropping the DSL connection after only a short connection time
and eventually I got fed up with it and went back to the 504T which
has now an uptime of 429468127 hour(s) 429496727 minute(s) without
a failure. Needless to say the 2740R went faulty after the warranty
expired.

I looked on the website to see if the 2740R is compatible with DD-WRT
but it doesn't seem to be, the older 2740B is OK but the newer 2740R
uses slightly different hardware.

I'm not too worried as I don't really need wireless, it was just nice
to have ;-)

--
John Lewis
Debian & the GeneWeb genealogical data server