Re: [Hampshire] Remote wipe of Linux systems

Author: Michael Pavling
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Remote wipe of Linux systems
On 14 November 2012 09:25, Tony Whitmore <tony@???> wrote:

> Are there any options for remote wiping Linux systems, in the case of them
> being lost or stolen? I'm sure that some funky trigger mechanism could be
> set up using dyndns and SSH, but I was looking for something that would
> scale to a larger number of devices.

If you're using Linux, and are concerned for your local machine's data, it
would probably be better to encrypt your partitions rather than rely on
some tool to lock the stable door.

Encrypted partitions don't suffer from the flaws of "remote wipe" software.
- no accidental wipes
- no need for the machine to be online to receive a signal
- no risk of drives being slaved to other machines