Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] Who knows about MoinMoin wikis?

Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] Who knows about MoinMoin wikis?
On Wednesday 07 Nov 2012, Lisi wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 November 2012 20:42:51 Chris Dennis wrote:
> > It seems that if I re-enable the 'new account' feature, then anyone at
> > all can instantly create an account and start messing with the pages,
> > which is what happened before when the site filled up with
> > pharmaceutical adverts.
>
> Why did we change to moin-moin? I can't remember, but spam always was
> something that needed fighting.

I think it was because someone was prepared to migrate the content off the old
wiki onto a new one and was prepared to do the cosmetic work, so it's what
they picked.

I'm told Moin-Moin has a half decent reputation - it's used by Debian for
example. For quite a while it was okay but there was very little activity by
anyone in the LUG, then the spam started to take it over and eventually we had
to lock it as I spent all my time cleaning it up and not doing anything useful
with it.

I think the best tool is the one the Webmaster is happiest with and while I do
love wikis, I'm not convinced enough other people do to make them work on the
Internet.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
    -- Hanlon's Razor