[Hampshire] Experiences with Ubuntu 12.10

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Experiences with Ubuntu 12.10
Hi,

Someone gifted me an SSD, and this is the first time I have used one.
So, I go to install Ubuntu 12.10 on it.
I need my /boot partition to be about 1Gig for technical reasons. I am a
kernel developer, so wish to have lots of different kernels in the grub
boot menu.
So, I go into the expert menus of the Ubuntu installer, and go through
setting up the partitions I want, and then go to the "Now actually install
it" step, at which is gives a choice of "Normal" or "Live".
The "Normal" option does nothing. It reports back an immediate "fail to
install". QA lacking there me thinks.
So, I reboot, and instead go for the Basic install with manual
partitioning, at which point, the install works fine.

Install completes in about 5-10 mins. SSD certainly helping there.

Boot times are now very good. About 5-10 seconds, instead of 30-40 seconds
before.
What is not so go, there does not seem to have been any improvement in
shutdown times. I think that is the next area for these "boot time" addicts
to concentrate on.

At least now, if my PC gets a shock while switched on, it will not crash
the spinning HD. The SSD can handle 1500G/1ms. I also probably need a
tougher laptop, so the screen does not break or scratch when a certain 35Kg
chocolate coloured dog steps on it. :-)

Now I just need someone to invent a laptop that does not need a Air Cooling
FAN, and I would have a silent laptop.
Maybe 64bit ARM CPUs will give us that when they arrive in 2014.