Re: [Hampshire] Lost Panel

Author: Chris. Aubrey-Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Lost Panel
On 27 October 2012 14:08, Tim Brocklehurst <timb@???>wrote:

> On Saturday 27 Oct 2012 13:58:44 Chris. Aubrey-Smith wrote:
> > Help! Using Debian 6 and I've somehow lost the panel from the top of the
> > screen. This means I have no easy access to installed software (have to
> > find and invoke the individual binaries) or even to a command line! Can't
> > even shut down gracefully!
> >
> > Everything's backed up and I have access to other machines, but I'd
> rather
> > not have to spend hours rebuilding the system from scratch.
> >
> > What do I do now?
> >
> > Chris
>
> Chris,
>
> Ctrl+Alt+F1 to F6 will get you a console.

I'm ashamed to admit that I'd forgotten this.... It's been many years since
I last used it.

> Can you give us a bit more info?
> Which desktop are you using?

I'm sorry I omitted this information. This is my 'everyday' machine (e-mail
& web browsing) so it's an absolutely basic Debian/Gnome system, straight
off the Debian 6.0.1a DVD.

Not sure if there's any connection, but I'd been using Iceweasel and
getting fed up with being nagged for not using 'an up-to-date browser'. So,
I installed the latest version of Firefox, which was (is!) working well and
no more nagging.

Then the panel disappeared.....

Chris.