[Hampshire] Updating Fedora

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Updating Fedora
This is a question related to the course I am doing. We are supposed to be
updating a Debian kernel and a Fedora kernel using the suppled package
managers (apt-get recommended for Debian). This exercise is just for our own
benefit, and is not a marked exercise.

I have installed Fedora 17.

From our text:
"Updating the kernel in the Fedora/Red Hat distribution is totally automatic
by means of its package management service or else by means of the graphic
programs that the distribution includes for updating; "

Help! I am staring at Fedora, and getting no-where! This is why I usually
just give up and go back to Debian.

So far as I can see there are no automatic or GUI package management tools of
any kind on my system. I looked up yum on the Fedora wiki (I have heard of
yum) and it said that yum is deprecated now. :-( Though not what is not
deprecated.

Red Hat has, apparently, got up2date, but I haven't got Red Hat.

And if Debian is anything to go by, I shall not be able to update the kernel
simply; because I have only just installed, and it is already the newest
currently in the relevant repos. But then, I can't update anyway, so it is
academic.

I clearly need to install something, if I could only work out what. But then
I can't install anything until I have worked out how to install things, and I
can't do it how I am supposed to, until I have installed the management
application. Catch 22.

I have Googled, but I didn't get very far because I didn't know what I ought
to be asking for.

Thanks,
Lisi