[Hampshire] Build woes

Author: Rob Malpass
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Build woes
Hi all

Question first - details later: If you have a PC with a graphics card
working fine, then remove the graphics card and connect your monitor to the
onboard VGA - shouldn't this work straightaway? I've heard of needing to
disable onboard vga when fitting a new card but not having to re-enable
onboard when removing a graphics card. Any ideas?

I have a PC I'm trying to upgrade. For 4 years it's been running Hardy
reasonably soundly but the graphics card configuration was a real pig
(NVidia GeForce 8400GS made by Zotac). During upgrade, the new installer
(latest Ubuntu) failed to detect the card and no matter how much faffing
(yes I did backup xorg.conf) did the trick. Several other distros also
failed to boot into a GUI and even when they booted from liveCD, the install
process failed on 1st boot from hdd.

So, as I'm now utterly fed up with this graphics card and I don't need any
demanding graphics from this box, I've removed the card and connected to the
onboard VGA. Result: No video output at all despite everything else
looking ok - it makes a noise, I see hdd activity etc.

Have I forgotten anything ? It's been a while since I've done any
"surgery" on a PC.

Cheers

Rob