[Hampshire] Samba tutorial

Author: Rob Malpass
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Samba tutorial
Hi all

Does anyone know of a particularly readable tutorial on Samba? When I've
setup samba shares so Windows machines can see Linux boxes before, it's been
pretty much a surprise that they've worked. Ditto getting Linux machines
to be able to write to NAS boxes as non-root users.

My current problem is trying to make a directory on an external USB HDD on
an Ubuntu host available as r/w to a Windows host. I can make said host
see and read from a folder under /home/whoever but (even soft linking
/home/whoever/test to /media/ExternalHDDname is failing.

To make matters worse, the gnome users and groups admin thing has failed
completely i.e. click "Add" and it doesn't add a user, nor can I delete one
-all in all a bit of a meltdown really!

There are of course thousands of pages about samba and I'm sure O'Reilly
would be its' usual encyclopaedic - but all I want is to understand how
users and groups work in Samba so I can set appropriate permissions - anyone
know of a good resource?

Cheers

Rob