Re: [Hampshire] Linux on a G4 Mac Mini

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux on a G4 Mac Mini
On 18/09/12 21:36, Vic wrote:
>> I have both that and the Debian port, but as I say lack the ability to
>> >boot off of the CD/DVD drive, which fails to respond when I press c at
>> >the boot noise (as most guides seems state it should)3
> It's a couple of years since I put Linux on my G4, so I don't remember the
> details, but I remember having to get a Mac keyboard to get stuff going.
>
> Do you have to use the Option key?

That [a Mac keyboard] occurred to me Vic, but as this is meant to be a
low-cost effort to revive some old kit I can't see Ellen wanting to
throw good money after bad (she's an impoverished student struggling
into her 3rd year) by investing in another new keyboard.

A couple of the articles I have read, particularly those talking about
invoking open firmware at boot time refer to the option key and
apparently you can use a combination of Windows keys to emulate this,
but it's difficult to know which articles to follow up on when I am
getting zero feedback from any of the things I have tried.

Some small indication that /something/ is working and worth pursuing
would be nice, but right now I am getting nowhere, either with Linux or
getting these OS X drivers for the wifi card to work.

Ho hum :-(

I think I'll go and listen to some loud music and then sleep on it!

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk