Re: [Hampshire] Deciding SNMP MIB files in Linux

Author: Stephen Davies
To: Chris Smith
CC: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Deciding SNMP MIB files in Linux
Chris,
I think you have had a better experience with SNMP than I am
currently having.
You asked about the 'can of worms' relating to Polling for SNMP Traps.

The IPTV devices we are polling sometimes don't even respond within 30
seconds. Nasty.
The 5 servers are supposed to respond with the same data. They don't.
Why? They are running different firmware and the supplier is very very
very reluctant to make them identical.
Another SNMP emitter has been configured incorrectly. To get it fixed, a
guy will have to come from Bahrain. He will remove the unit and then
ship it to India where sometime in the next month they might possibly
correct the problem, ship it back and we can try again.

Not a happy bunny especially as it is the weekend here and I'm stuck in
the basement of the airport wearing ear defenders trying to keep the
incessant fire alarms from slowly driving me mad.

And so it goes on.
Stephen Davies