Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Universal Car Chargers

Author: Vic
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Universal Car Chargers

> The original url showed a 12V to 240V converter.

The conversation had moved to a PSU that has dual 240VAC or 12VDC inputs.
The claim was that the 12V input is more efficient. It is not.

> It's most likely that the USB output is single conversion, but a laptop
> or similar would need powering via the 240V

Not so. This is why I mentioned the 12VDC in laptop supply I was using at
the time of my posting.

> So at that rate you'll use half your car's battery capacity in a little
> under 3 hours, and you really don't want to take a car battery much
> below that.

It gets worse than that if you start drawing serious power. A typical
automotive alternator will develop something in the region of 100A max. My
large inverter draws >150A...

Vic.