Re: [Hampshire] Netbook batteries

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Netbook batteries

> > > Does anyone have any experience / horror stories / good revies / etc.?
> >
> > Yes, I got a horror for my Acer Aspire One. If I remember, I'll show it
> > you. A quite horrific waste of £40. It came from somewhere in the Far
> East,
> > and the internal connections do not even meet. Desmond suggested that it
> > might be worth prising the thing open and soldering the connections
> together.
> > I cut my losses, but keep it as an object lesson on the side-effects of
> > parsimony!!
> >
> > Branded batteries for me from now on.
> ** end quote [hantslug@???]
>
> Yes, this is what worries me about eBay!

I always go to eBay for laptop batteries and I know they are not OEM. I
always go for sellers that look established with very high feedback rating
and (most important) offer 12m warranty. I have had to use a warranty like
this once and got a replacement within a week. They are normally Chinese/HK
sellers that use (hopefully) branded cells such as Sanyo. As I understand
it, matching the cells is a tricky process which these sellers sometimes
skip QA on, hence variable quality. The batteries do not last as long as
OEM and will prolly drop to 1hr after a year or two of use but for ~£25 it
is a good price.

Your laptop that lasted 2hrs from new probably had a 6-cell battery. OEMs
normally put 6-cell batteries in by default hoping people will plump for
the more expensive 9-cell on purchase.

--
GPG Key fingerprint = B323 477E F6AB 4181 9C65 F637 BC5F 7FCC 9CC9 CC7F

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever.” - Indian political and spiritual leader Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)