Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Citrix

Author: Leszek Kobiernicki 1
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Citrix
On 19/07/12 09:20, Rob Malpass wrote:

> Hi all
>

> For my own education please, I need someone to explain a potentially
> far reaching decision made by our IT people at work....
>

> ( snip ) So what is Citrix and can anyone see why they may have set
> things up in this way?
>

> Cheers
>
> Rob
>

> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???

Hi Mate

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/C/Citrix_server.html

Home <http://www.webopedia.com/> > Citrix server

Citrix server

A server solution that uses Microsoft Terminal Services
<http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/W/Windows_terminal.html> software to
deliver Windows <http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/W/Windows.html>
applications to PCs, Apple Macintosh computers, X terminals and UNIX
workstations. This enables users of those systems to access and use
those programs which are available to those using the Windows operating
system. Citrix servers use two technologies; WinFrame
<http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/W/WinFrame.html> and Independent
Computing Architecture (ICA).

/See ICA <http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/I/ICA.html>.
See also WinFrame <http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/W/WinFrame.html>.
/

//What this means, is that your diagnosis of being compelled to revert
to dumb terminal access, is correct. The companies advocating it, seem
to believe that with the increasing power of CPUs, they can persuade
businesses, that user access to the server delivering the virtualized
desktop, will be swift ( I wouldn't count on it, myself )

See also

https://www.citrix.com/virtualization/desktop-virtualization.html

( not very informative )

and

http://www.defcon1.org/citrix.html

( this is quite an old site, but fairly explanatory )

"

* _What is Citrix?_*

Simply put, Citrix Metaframe allows you to run applications you have
at work from anywhere in the world or on your local area network (LAN).

( snip ) It does not matter if you're using a dialup modem,
DSL, ISDN, or T1 to access citrix remotely.

How does Citrix work?

We begin with either an enhanced version of Windows NT 4.0 (Terminal
Server Edition) or Windows 2000 with Terminal Services Installed.

Then, we add Citrix Metaframe. This product allows multiple users to
run multiple applications on the Citrix Server at the same time. When
you run applications on the Citrix Server the screen shots are sent to
your computer and, in return, your keyboard input and mouse movements
are sent to the Citrix Server.

How much bandwidth does it take?

The average connection uses 10K to 20K of bandwidth per connection.
Hence, a 28K dial-up modem is enough to access a Citrix Server.

What kind of operating system can I use to access Citrix?

DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows CE (Thin Client), Windows NT 4.0,
Windows 2000, Unix, and Macintosh.

How fast of a computer do I need to access Citrix?

Virtually any personal computer can access Citrix (e.g., 386 to
Pentium 4). In fact, it does not matter how fast your computer is,
it will run with virtually the same speed on Citrix.

How do you get additional information about Citrix?

www.bctinc.com/ <http://www.bctinc.com/>

So - CITRIX virtualizes the entitre desktop. It's a way of
lockdown-controlling users,
like the diskless workstations, & thin clients madness, of the remoter
past ( late 1980s-
early 1990s ), which wasn't over-popular with either the users - or
ourselves ( SysAdmins )

Enterprizes seem to be being pushed by the money funding IT, into
depriving users
of their present ability to do things their own way, through Cloud,
Software-as-a-Service,
or this CITRIX stuff ( which the military is quite understandably,
rather big on )

If there's a way of avoiding CITRIX, for the Legacy Apps. you've got,
you may have to
make a Business Case, for them to continue as they are, as a statutory
exception,
thus preserving the users' current workflows, using the enterprize's
existing
Business Continuity model ..

Otherwise they probably will slow to a crawl.

Red Adair: " I baint but got 2 speeds. If they don't like this one [
slow ],
then they sure as hell, won't like the other one " ..

Lesz
--
" The power of this life, if men will open their hearts to it, will heal
them, will create them anew, physically and spiritually. Here is the
gospel of earth, ringing with hope, like May mornings with bird-song,
fresh and healthy as fields of young grain. But those who would be
healed must absorb it not only into their bodies in daily food and
warmth but into their minds, because its spiritual power is more
intense. It is not reasonable to suppose that an essence so divine and
mysterious as life can be confined to material things; therefore, if our
bodies need to be in touch with it so do our minds. The joy of a spring
day revives a man's spirit, reacting healthily on the bone and the
blood, just as the wholesome juices of plants cleanse the body, reacting
on the mind. Let us join in the abundant sacrament--for our bodies the
crushed gold of harvest and ripe vine-clusters, for our souls the purple
fruit of evening with its innumerable seed of stars ". Vis Medicatrix
Naturae, by Mary Webb, in Spring of Joy: Nature Essays, Constable,
London, 1917 "