Re: [Hampshire] re skype

Author: john
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] re skype
Hi All

Many thanks for the helpful replies.

Just to expand on what I do. I use skype with video and speech. The video
and speech is perfect for about 18 minutes. After this time the video picture
produces a still picture and the sound becomes garbled.

I found that exciting the video link and reconnecting still produces a still
picture and garbled sound.

To restore the video link with good video and good sound I have to excite
skype and restart.

This happens on both a 32 bit OS, a 64 bit OS. I have tried machines from 2
GB to 16 GB of memory and the problem with video and sound still occurs after
18 minutes.

The video uses a 480x640 picture on a USB webcam. The sound uses microphone
and eaphones connected to a sound card.

I am using pulse audio. I have found that skype on some OS's needs the gnome-
volume-control to be open before I can get any sound.

Any suggestions on how to increase my video and sound time would be much
appreciated.

John Eayrs