Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10…

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10.04.x
On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 11:50:50 +0100 (BST)
"Vic" <lug@???> wrote:

> Here's my suggestion: reinstate the Gnome2-like desktop. Do you
> honestly think that will get treated seriously if I were to suggest
> it on IRC? Because I've experienced quite enough invective for one
> week, thankyouverymuch.

Debian has done this. At the login screen (using gdm3) there is an
option to choose Classic which gives all the "goodness" of Gnome3 with
the simplicity of Gnome2 menus.

I think what is happening with interface designers is that they are
assuming we are all going to be using tablets or screens with touch
interfaces and recent "improved" GUIs are designed with this in mind.

I am of the old school that thinks touching the screen with greasy
fingers is not a good idea!!

--
John Lewis
Debian & the GeneWeb genealogical data server