Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10…

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10.04.x
On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 02:53:45 +0100
Leszek Kobiernicki 1 <l.kobiernicki@???> wrote:

> On 30/06/12 12:29, john lewis wrote:
> > On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 11:37:06 +0100
> > Alan Pope <alan.pope@???> wrote:

> >> In 12.04 it's very search-oriented. Press the "Ubuntu button" then
> >> click the second lens along (Applications Lens) or just tap the
> >> "Windows (super) key" + A and then start typing what you're after.
> >> Way more efficient than squirrelling through menus IMO.
> >> You could try other derivatives like Linux Mint with Cinnamon or
> >> Mate, but I would question the sustainability of those desktops.

> >> I hear Debian is quite nice :)
> > Debian is more than Nice ;-)
> >
> > Install it and never have to re-install your OS again and (for now
> > at least and hopefully always) you can use Gnome Classic, chosen at
> > login
> >
> > Wheezy has just been frozen but it will be a few months before it is
> > released as the next stable version.
> >
> > Install Debian Unstable instead if you need more recent packages
> > than are in current Debian Stable.
> >
> > It isn't all that problematic to use but does need regular doses of
> > "aptitude update, aptitude safe-upgrade" I do it daily.
> >
> Thanx John
>
> If I can't warm to Unity, I might well hafta go Debian
>
> Is there a HOW TO for installing it on a Mac ?

there are several howtos on debian wiki

http://wiki.debian.org/MacBook/
http://wiki.debian.org/MacMiniIntel/

for starters

> It was mighty fiddly getting Ubuntu to dual-boot with OS-X on the Mac

I think it depends on which version of OS/X and what hardware you have.

I tried installing it on my early mac mini and it wouldn't play and
googling suggested there was a known problem. I then tried booting off
a USB hard drive but the version of OS/X installed didn't recognise
the drive, again a known problem.

<off_topic>

I have just upgraded to Snow Leopard and I believe this version will
boot off USB drives but at the moment the only USB drives I have are
in use for other things (one being the backup drive for the stuff that
was on the mac mini before upgrading).

As it happens (almost) nothing was destroyed during the upgrade in
fact the only thing I have noticed is that safari has lost the stored
bookmarks so will have to find a way of getting them back.

The upgrade was quite straightforward, apart from needing to reboot
a few times and the length of time it took, 45 mins for the first
stage then another half hour installing stuff newer than what was
on the CD.

</off_topic>

Apropos the real Alan Pope, if memory serves me correctly he along with
about 75% (or more) of LUG members were all Debian users several years
back. Then for some unknown reason they defected to the new kid on the
block.

I never made that move and have never in fact even tried running
ubuntu. I wasn't happy with the Debian developers when Gnome3 became the
default on Debian Sid and considered moving to Mint but then found that
Gnome3 had an option to run Gnome Classic.

I think I'd be unhappy with any interface that didn't use traditional
menus.

One of the things I really dislike about OS/X is that the 'thingy' at
top of screen changes depending on the application running. I like my
apps to have their own menus.

And I have never been an advocate of having every app have the same
look and feel and could never understand why people were critical of
The Gimp for not conforming.

As for having to 'search' for things that I'd expect to find in a menu
that would drive me bonkers, except that I only ever run half a dozen
apps each in its own workspace and only reboot when absolutely
necessary so rarely need Gnomes pull down menu. (Oh yes!, I hate icons
on the screen so don't have them to click on)

<off_topic again>

One thing I do like about Snow Leopard is that it allows "Spaces" so I
can work in a similar fashion to what I am used to. My wife uses XP
and I find it very frustrating if I ever have to do something with her
system that she has to have all open apps on the one workspace and that
even with a large/wide screen it is impossible to have even three apps
(mail, browser and FTM) open at anything like full size.

</off_topic>

--
John Lewis
Debian & the GeneWeb genealogical data server