Re: [Hampshire] Netbooks

Top Page
Author: Damian L Brasher
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Netbooks

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56959100.hantslug.org.uk.18302': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri May 18 19:17:31 2012 BST
gpg: using RSA key F4CED24E945F8E45
On Mon, 2012-04-23 at 20:18 +0100, Dominic Rodriguez wrote:
> Hey chaps!
>
> Would any of you happen to know about cheap netbooks?

I did quite a bit of Netbook research (including reading some helpful
posts on this list). I decided to cut my losses re this post - which I
decided was not going to be valuable use of my time.
http://www.hants.lug.org.uk/lurker/message/20120412.182726.edd25e9c.en.html

I will use the Acer One Aspire - ZG5 booting from a USB stick
re-provisioned as a dev node. The CF will be great inside a MiniITX
server.

I finally decided on a Black Dell Duo which uses a Pineview Atom N570
1.67 GHz and 2 GiB memory. These are end-of-line and from the Dell
outlet site, mine was £280 all in. Duos still retail on Amazon for
around £450. So a bit beyond the price range of the original post
request, which was also close to my initial requirements. My reasoning
for the decision was; with Linux (in this case, 32bit Fedora 16 LXDE
spin), the hardware-power / investment ratio is favourable. With the
added benefit of a tablet touch screen, a 250 GiB hard drive and decent
keyboard. Other factors are mentioned below. Delivery from Dell Outlet
was fast and I received a full warranty.

Touch screen works with a small boot parameter change. Other utilities
to make good use of the tablet form, exist in repos; like multi-touch
support and on-screen keyboard. The build is robust, feels and looks are
in the quality range. There is an accelerometer, but I am not 100% sure
if this works yet. I'm more than happy to spend time experimenting with
OS configuration:)

A slight limitation for me, is the lack of an Ethernet port. The branded
docking station does support Ethernet. Wi-Fi is reliable. Perhaps I'll
obtain a docking station later on. In reviews, people have complained
that battery life is mediocre. I think it is acceptable given the
specification. I hope that Linux will consume less power in any case, no
pun intended - especially by using a lightweight desktop. The screen
viewing angle is a little sharp, but fine for personal use. The screen
resolution is higher than average for 10.1" and very clear, which makes
up for this in my mind. Also, the GPU is nicely capable.

Best Regards
Damian

--
Interlinux Engineering Foundation http://www.interlinux.org.uk

Central, non-trading, administration, governance and dissemination of
foundation intellectual property and know-how.

GPG 945F8E45