Re: [Hampshire] Hampshire Digest, Vol 67, Issue 2

Author: Stephen Davies
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Hampshire Digest, Vol 67, Issue 2
I have a couple of nicely configured servers running in my home office
at the moment.

No 1:  AMD 6 core Bulldozer underclocked plus a stonking great Zalman
Heatsink. I run 4-6 VMWare VM's on this at a time
            Big Case Fans
            Fanless Graphics card.

No 2: Intel i7 Quad core 32Gb Ram again with a big Heatsink, case fans etc.
It is running a simulation of the Airport Database and external systems
for LAX (Los Angeles) Terminal 6 at the moment. 8VM's, 3 different
databases and around 10% CPU loading.

I recently bought a Case with lots of sound absorbing material built-in.
This made a big difference. I can't remember the make but I got it from
Novatech.
Big Fans make less noise. You need less RPM to move the same volume of
air. Less RPM means less fan blade tip speed which means less noise. Get
ones with decent bearings as well. Saving a few quid here is really only
a short term saving.
Get a s big a CPU Heatsink as you can. Beware that some may fould the
Ram slots especially if you use ram sticks that are a bit taller than
normal.

Despite their power these systems are a whole lot quieter than any OOTB
systems I've ever had.

Alternatively, you could always invest in some noice canceling headphones!

Stephen D