Re: [Hampshire] DVD Ripping

Author: Full Circle Podcast
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DVD Ripping
VLC player is my Swiss Army knife for all things media; using the
Convert/Save option to front-end gstreamer tools and ffmpeg, you can do
convert most things; the subtitle track of City of Lost Children is the
only thing to give trouble in copying.

MP4 files are fairly economic in size and keep quality. Just remember to
test your codec combination before you off-line.

I often use Brasero to create an ISO image of the DVD's I travel with; you
keep all the DVD menus and extras intact in original quality. Gmount-iso is
a useful GUI utility to mount them for VLC to play like any physical disk.

RC

On 27 April 2012 17:09, Ian G <lug@???> wrote:

> ffmpeg or mencoder. convert to anything and works many a DVD. Just need to
> clue up on its syntax
>
> Rob Malpass <linux@???> wrote:
>
> >Hi all
> >

> >I think I asked something similar a few months back but please bear with
> me
> >- as ever this is driving me mad...
> >

> >I want a simple program to turn a DVD into a video file - purely for
> >personal use - need the space in the living room - I'm not doing anything
> >knowingly nefarious here. For the moment, let's not concentrate on which
> >format and therefore which codec. For what should be not far short of a
> >simple job - I'm coming up against all sorts of weirdness trying to do it
> >either free or with Linux or both.
> >

> >I've tried k3b, which just hangs
> >
> >I've tried k9copy to produce an iso - which works but not sure what good
> >that actually is - save for burning the iso back to optical media again as
> >backup.
> >
> >I've tried dvd:rip which seems to work - until you play the avi back and
> you
> >get the equivalent of an analogue TV picture which hasn't been quite tuned
> >in well i.e. diagonal lines and crackled unintelligible sound.
> >

> >I must be missing something - and I'm getting to the stage where I'd
> happily
> >pay for something that works. With umpteen DVDs and a smaller living
> room,
> >need something quick (in every sense).
> >

> >Surely there must be a simple program out there to rip DVDs easily. Any
> >ideas anyone?
> >

> >Cheers
> >
> >Rob
> >

> >--