Re: [Hampshire] USB, PS/2 and 5 pin DIN keyboards

Author: Tim Brocklehurst
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] USB, PS/2 and 5 pin DIN keyboards
On Saturday 21 Apr 2012 14:56:26 Rob Malpass wrote:
> Does anyone know how to prolong the life of a 5pin din keyboard with ps2 on
> the way out?

Why? Oh, right...

> I have a lovely keyboard which I'm really really keen on keeping but I have
> a nasty feeling is losing the legacy war. It is still working fine, feels
> lovely and I've had it for nearly 20 years. At present it's connected to
> me ps2 kvm via a 5pin din female to ps2 male adapter. However it seems
> ps2 is being phased out - the mobo I bought at Christmas only had one ps2
> port.

Whether the removal of PS2 is a good or bad thing is a subject of supreme
indifference to me. I've been using USB keyboards for years, and at least we've
standarised on something (vaguely) sensible. Good keyboards are usually (and
always have been) expensive, but the one I'm using at the moment is quite OK
and cost £3.

> I've just tried a ps2 female to usb male on the end of the lash-up I
> describe above and no dice from the mobo.
>
> However - and getting to the point - it's unlikely my 1994 vintage 5 pin
> din keyboard would be noticed as a usb device without either some software
> or hardware intervention - anyone know of anything?

It's possible that the bios is not set up to recognise USB keyboards. There's
usually a "Support Legacy USB" (or similar) option in the bios settings.

If this is no-go, then I would seriously consider buying a new keyboard.
Unless you really want to spend months hacking an interface together.

Cheers,

Tim B.