Re: [Hampshire] Shutting down a server cleanly

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Shutting down a server cleanly
On Thu, 2012-04-19 at 17:03 +0100, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

> I find a big sticker right next to the power button saying "DO NOT
> SWITCH OFF. Talk to XYZ first." seems to work quite well.
> It improves the user interface of the power button.

It does, but...

Hm, in a past life we used to do that with the wall switches on paging
systems for places like, um, hospitals. For extra security, of course,
we also had backup supplies that would keep the system running for an
hour or so to bridge any time gaps before power is restored, whether by
normal means or by backup generators. After all, these systems are used
as the first line for calling emergency teams of various kinds.

I know from experience, though, that some cleaners' ability to vacuum
the floor in the exchange room is more important to that cleaner than
the risk to life. And plugging it back in after doing the vacuuming
would be just too hard. Cue emergency callout of maintenance team to fix
the broken system.

In an ideal world, those systems would be on a hard-wired outlet, so
that unplugging would be impossible. ... In an ideal world :-(
And even then someone sees a red glow in the half-light at 3am and
thinks .. there's something left on over there; I must turn that off
before I leave...... Sigh.

Gordon.