Re: [Hampshire] Transaction based upgrades.

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Transaction based upgrades.

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56e1e100.hantslug.org.uk.22943': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Apr 10 13:11:51 2012 BST
gpg: using RSA key CC7A505B5FBD5E30
On 08/04/12 11:40, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> After reading the "crippled system" thread, I think it might be a
> good idea if Linux was able to do transaction based upgrades.

The "do-release-upgrade" tool in Ubuntu has for some time had a
'sandbox' feature for upgrading from one release to another. This
isn't exactly what you're asking for (package by package upgrades and
rollbacks) but it's related.

It was designed so that you could (for example) attempt to upgrade
from 11.10 to 12.04, and it it all went horribly wrong, roll back to
11.10.

We now do automated testing of upgrades using various scenarios in
order to improve reliability for users. The results are publicly
available on our jenkins instance.

https://jenkins.qa.ubuntu.com/view/Precise%20Upgrade%20Testing%20Dashboard/

Cheers,
- --