Re: [Hampshire] Open source communities survival during econ…

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Open source communities survival during economic change
> It isn't such a
> huge leap to move that to an open source project.

It isn't for us - but I really don't think the same can be said for some
of the PHBs in those companies...

I was recently contracting at a large multinational. During my time there,
I found that they were breaching the GPL in just about all their products.
I also showed them that a two-line addition to the manual would bring them
into compliance with the licence, and everything would be fine. Not doing
anything risked the whole business unit.

It's simple, isn't it? You make the section 3(b) promise, and the problems
go away.

Well, they didn't see it like that. I was very nearly frogmarched off site
for even mentioning it, and at the point I did leave, they were still
non-compliant. The PHBs had decided that they didn't care about copyright,
and if anything did happen, they'd "just buy a licence".

There really is no reasoning with some people...

Vic.