Re: [Hampshire] VDSL equipment

Author: Benjie Gillam
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] VDSL equipment

On 5 Jan 2012, at 06:01, Mike Austin wrote:
> I have a TIVO box connected to my Virgin Cable installation. It is very
> good, but I have yet to crack controlling it using my slingbox. I spent
> nine years living in Cyprus, so obtaining UK TV was a challenge - I
> installed a 4.2 metre dish on our building but had the backup of using my UK
> based slingbox when the signal faded.
>
> I am off to the ski slopes shortly, and access my slingbox from Switzerland
> as most hotels have limited UK TV.
> I can access it from my Galaxy S11.

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure if it helps with your slingbox situation, but the Tivo has a very simple (and reliable) network remote control protocol - just enable it from your Tivo settings and then telnet to your tivo on TCP port 31339 and issue "IRCODE SELECT".

This even allows you to put the tivo to sleep and wake it from sleep.

Available IRCODEs include:

TIVO|STANDBY|INFO|GUIDE|TEXT|WINDOW|SUBTITLE|UP|LEFT|RIGHT|DOWN|SELECT|THUMBSUP|THUMBSDOWN|CHANNELUP|CHANNELDOWN|NOWSHOWING|RECORD|SLOW|PLAY|PAUSE|REVERSE|FORWARD|STOP|REPLAY|ADVANCE|ACTION_A|ACTION_B|ACTION_C|ACTION_D

The Tivo uses \r as line terminator, so interactive netcat doesn't work with the tivo and interactive telnet generally only works with the first command unless you leave enough of a gap between commands to cancel the \n (commands can time out). Very simple to write a script to control it though, or you could chain an end-of-line converter script.

Cheers,

Benjie.