Re: [Hampshire] Gnome 3 Delete Key

Author: chris procter
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Gnome 3 Delete Key
> for reasons known only to the developers the action of the "Delete" no

> longer works as it used to. Something to do with preventing people
> accidentally deleting files in Nautilus.
>
> The primary use for the "Delete" in every  system I have used till now
> has been for removing the character to the right of the cursor (with
> backspace removing character to left of the cursor position)
>
> This usage is pretty well essential for text editing in any app I can
> think of. Now if I hit "Delete" gnome 3 switches me to a workspace to
> left of current workspace,  I am of course working in Classic mode.
>
> Ctrl-Delete is supposed to give the old action, but doesn't as that
> deletes the whole word to the right of the cursor. The numeric keypad
> "Del" does work as required so I really need to be able to tell
> "Delete" to work as another "Del"
>
> I have been looking at xmodmap but as I'm suffering from a very heavy
> cold cannot make much sense of the manpage.
>
> If anyone has found a permanent fix* for this cockup or can tell me how
> to remap the key I'll be most obliged. Googling only provides solutions
> to the way it works in Nautilus, which didn't work for me as it
> happens. I'm not in the least worried about how the Delete key works
> in Nautilus 'cos I almost never use it, that sort of thing is done
> using mc.
>
> Can't even file a bug report as it is doing what the developers
> intended and they aren't listening to any complaints about their
> decisions.

Works For Me. Fedora 16/Gnome 3.2 in non-classic mode and delete works fine.

At the risk of an obvious question is it set up as a shortcut in System Settings (System Settings->Keyboard->Shortcuts->Navigation) ?  In mine "Move One Workspace To The Left" is set to Shift-Ctl-Alt-Left but if yours is set to Delete then that might explain it and its easy to change. Xmodmap is not exactly friendly!

chris