Re: [Hampshire] "Big" storage

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] "Big" storage
On Wed, 2011-12-28 at 08:59 +0000, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 00:26:54 +0000, linux@??? said:
>
> > As a counter, I would not advise RAID for this ... it will protect
> > against hdd failure but that's all.
>
> And that is all it is meant to do (OK, some RAID configurations will also
> provide increased throughput).

That depends upon the RAID level. Raid zero offers no redundancy
whatsoever, It's sole purpose is to increase throughput.

Raid one is disc-for-disc mirroring, so offers 100% redundancy and it
therefore a data backup, though of course it also backs up things like
accidental deletions.

Higher levels generally offer a bit of each with different trade-offs.

> Do not confuse RAID with backup: they are completely different things.

> > If you want backup I think you're better off having a "normal"
> > backup from one set of disks in the computer to the other set (in the
> > same computer)
>
> That means that if your computer is stolen, has a disk controller run
> amok, or (unlikely) catches fire, you'll lose your original data as well
> as your backups. If your backups are important to you, they should be
> isolated, ideally geographically, from the source data. If they're not
> important to you, don't waste your time setting them up.

After some questions on this list a little while back, I'm using
BackupPC to take overnight backups to a different PC that _will_ go to a
brick outbuilding when I get the networking sorted.

It's worth considering a cloud service for this, though with a CAD
package I use, I found the upload to cloud getting left too far behind
my work and gave it up (With hindsight, that's because the CAD takes
it's own snapshots every minute or so and they're megabytes each).

Gordon.
--
Gordon Scott            www.gscott.co.uk
                        01256-476547