Re: [Hampshire] Linux Answers

Author: Mike Austin
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux Answers
Perhaps this thread should become "What's In A Name?". Words often change
their usage and, therefore, meaning. 50 years ago the word gay had a
different meaning than now. Google used to be just the name of a search
engine, but now it is also used as a verb.

When I started computing PC stood for Personal Computer. These days it is
largely used to describe a computer running Windows.

While the purist may seek to clearly define Linux, it has come to be
recognised as any operating system using the Linux Kernel. There is one
exception that I will come to shortly.

Several members of my PC-answers group look upon me as a geek as I have
moved to a Linux OS. This geek image is quite common among those who have
never used Linux. Just today, one of the members of my PC group wrote
"Being somewhat risk averse stops me from spending all my time getting
buried into 'Linux' and alternative technology"

Interestingly, the person who wrote that is having an issue accessing his IP
security cameras from his Asus Transformer which, as we know, uses the Linux
Kernel! So, Android users are not in the geek category.

Few, if any, of my PC group would join a LUG as they are perceived as geeky.
I created my Linux-answers group to act as a halfway house as they
experiment with the use of a Linux distro. I recommend they use Mint as a
starter.

I will create guides with screenshots to post on our associated Google site
to assist them. Hopefully, those of you who have joined will find the time
to add your knowledge to help others.

Happy New Year,

Mike