Re: [Hampshire] Unity with dual monitors

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unity with dual monitors
** Paul Tansom <paul@???> [2011-12-23 15:31]:
> Has anyone got Unity working with dual monitors, and if so how. I've done some
> searching and only found references to people that have done it with no
> indication of how! I'm on Ubuntu 11.10 and, although the displays settings
> allows me to enable and set a resolution for the second monitor it complains
> that my desktop doesn't have the correct resolution when I apply the changes.
> The AMD (ATI) driver has settings for dual screens, but they are greyed out
> because I only have one desktop. It was so much easier in Gnome 2! I'm getting
> the feeling we are, at least temporarily heading back to the late 90s and
> manually hacking configuration files for Unity - not that I mind that I'm
> always doing it with my servers, but when you have a mix of GUI, CLI and auto
> configuration changes things never work together well :(

** end quote [Paul Tansom]

To be really sad and the only one to reply to my own post ;) I've got it
working. I tried using grandr to see if I could find out what was going on, but
that has nothing to do with anything and wouldn't run. Then I rebooted with the
dual screens configured as a mirror. This enabled the option in the AMD
configuration to work with the second screen, although I could still do nothing
to configure the Xinerama settings, however after running:

amdconfig -- initial=dual-head

from the CLI and rebooting (again) I could enable Xinerama (initially when I
moved the mouse onto the second screen it went all retro X on my with the
chunky X cursor!). Once that was enabled, and after another reboot, I was
working nicely - bar the fact that the screens were on the wrong side of each
other. Since there was no configuration option for this I simply swapped the
cables (I suspect if I manually edited the xorg.conf file I could have swapped
them by changing the ServerLayout section).

Not exactly easy, but I thought I'd post in case anyone else was stuck.