Re: [Hampshire] Mint debian gnome3 was New member...

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Mint debian gnome3 was New member...
On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 00:11:01 +0530
pavithran <pavithran.s@???> wrote:

> On 2 December 2011 23:33, john lewis <johnlewis@???>
> wrote:
> > Debian isn't perfect and changing to Gnome 3 is IMHO a bad choice
> > but XFCE allows me to set up the desktop the way I want and not how
> > some geeky developer thinks it should be.  Not all of us are
> > tablet/touch screen users!!
> I have used and liked Unity during the days of Ubuntu netbook remix .
> Compared to unity as of today I think gnome 3 is quite usable . But
> yeah the old easy menu thing is missing .
>
> > With luck the Mint modifications to Gnome 3 will filter back into
> > Debian.
> Same here would love to see mint stuff coming back to ints grand
> mother/mother debian . I have spoken to some DD 's about LMDE and the
> role it plays strengthening the debian system , as usual they were not
> amused :(
>
> > I have run the Mint Debian Edition 'live' on my spare system
> > and it looks quite good. It installed OK  but seems reluctant to
> > 'aptitude safe-upgrade' the 488 packages needing an upgrade plus the
> > 50 new packages it thinks I need ;-)
>
> Hey be careful with LMDE and update . You will get into a mess . They
> do something like update packs
> http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1836

hello Pavi

I didn't get into any bother updating LMDE but yesterday decided to go
back to Debian on the spare system and did a net-install of squeeze
then upgraded that to testing aka wheezy.

So am now running gnome 3 classic on that system. Classic because the
built-in graphics won't run the full Gnome 3. I thought at first I'd
have to go back to squeeze because as it is installed classic is barely
configurable, but installing gnome-tweak-tool seems to have solved
that to some extent.

I have one peculiar problem though in as much as my favourite browser,
opera*, won't run yet the same version on my amd 64 bit system seems
OK, but I am not going to take the risk of restarting it if I can avoid
it ;-)

This was one of the reasons for switching back from LMDE
as this problem happened there first. It didn't make any difference
whether I got opera from the mint or the opera-deb repositories, it
still started then failed to run and threw up an error message.

I might try upgrading again, from testing to unstable - after all the
reason I have a spare system is to allow me to play with things without
risking my main box too much (if running unstable can be called
risk-free but I've been using it for years with only the occasional
blip usually fixed in a couple of days at most).

*Opera_11.60.1185_i386.deb

I'll take this opportunity to wish everybody in Hants LUG an enjoyable
festive season and hope that the New Year won't bring anyone any nasty
surprises.

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid