Re: [Hampshire] HP ProCurve switch, VLAN configuration.

Author: Wayne Lee
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] HP ProCurve switch, VLAN configuration.
Hello

Large snip

> I tried that to no avail... I will have a play with it again at work
> tomorrow and see how it goes. I'll let you know how successful I am.
>
> Cheers for all your help guys :)
>
> Steven

The normal way to achieve this is to make one of the ports a trunk
port and connect this to the router. The trunk port will be a member
of all the vlans in tagged mode. Add a sub interface on the router per
vlan (make sure the vlan ID's match) and then the router will handle
all of the routing and the switches will just switch. Unless it a full
layer 3 switch it will not have the routing capabilities.

If you don't have root/admin access to the router then use a spare
Linux box which supports vlans very well.

Regards

Wayne