[Hampshire] Ubuntu Ocelot - pointer disappears when over ico…

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Ocelot - pointer disappears when over icon
Hi all

I'll describe this as best I can - hoping someone knows a workaround -
easier than googling.

I've just upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 (Ocelot somethingorother). The default
"Unity" window manager I don't like - gave it half an hour and went back to
gnome classic but there's a rather irritating change that I'm hoping I can
undo.

Essentially in the new system settings window, the pointer disappears when
you're over an icon. Is there any way around this? Personally I find it
disconcerting enough losing the pointer so to have it disappear just when
I'm not 100% sure I'm over an icon is a real pain. This is as true as
gnome "classic" under 11.10 as it is under unity under 11.10. I've hunted
around the obvious places like "mouse" settings and no joy.

I'm hoping this can be fixed because (and it's a personal thing as I'm very
short sighted) I am finding it much harder to use.

Cheers

Rob