[Hampshire] When things don't go to plan....

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] When things don't go to plan....
Hi,

I was intending to do some file recovery on a friends Mac OS X laptop.
Plan was as follows:
1) take a dd image of the laptop hard disk. (worked fine, remove HD
from laptop, place in usb hd interface and do dd on it.)
2) run photorec to recover some of the photos. (worked fine). Did
exiv2 on that to rename the photos based on the exif info.
find . -iname "*jpg" -exec exiv2 -t -F '{}' \;
3) mount the hfsplus partition and recover what I could from that.
It is this last bit that failed to work.

I would have expected something like this to work:
mount -t hfsplus -o ro,loop,offset=209735680 macbook1.img /n1/macbook/fs
but it failed to mount.
Please see
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-meta/+bug/889928
for details of why it did not work.
Essentially there is a bug in the hfsplus kernel code that fails to
recognize the hfsplus partition in particular circumstances.

I have done this procedure (step 3) without any problems when
recovering windows and linux boxes.
I had assumed it would be just as easy on Mac OS X.
So, I thought I would mention it, in case anyone else is having
similar problems.
I sure did waste several hours of my weekend.

Kind Regards

James