Re: [Hampshire] Ctrl-Alt-F* doesn't work - what to check?

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ctrl-Alt-F* doesn't work - what to check?
On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 15:22:48 +0000
Robin Wilson <robin@???> wrote:

> Sorry for the number of messages today -

That _is_ why we are here. I have been using Linux since 1996 and
Debian since 2002 and still need to ask pretty basic questions from
time to time (I admit age may have something to do with my inability
to understand things)

> I'm finally trying to get round to sorting out my server. I'm sure
> last time I used the server I could get to a text-console by pressing
> Ctrl-Alt-F* - F1, F2 etc, and then back to the GUI by using
> Ctrl-Alt-F7. However, I can't seem to do that anymore.

FWIW it works on my Debian Sid system.

I'm using slim as my default display manager rather than gdm3 which got
purged along with gnome3 last weekend. Haven't rebooted the system
since so don't know how well slim will function.

> My system runs gdm3 on boot, which then does an autologin as a
> certain user. Is this likely to stop Ctrl-Alt-F1 etc working?
> According to a post on the internet, the command chvt should allow me
> to switch to a terminal. However, running that just gives me a blank
> black screen with a flashing cursor - with no way out (I had to
> restart).

The problem with looking for help on the internet is that too often the
replies are ancient and may also refer to a different distribution, you
may well do better asking here as there are still a few Debianites in
HantsLUG.

Often these days a Debian related question in Google will get a Ubuntu
based reply which won't necessarily be correct as there are subtle
differences :-(

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid