Re: [Hampshire] Error with apt-get upgrade on Debian

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Error with apt-get upgrade on Debian
On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 14:14:43 +0000
Robin Wilson <robin@???> wrote:

> I have been trying to upgrade packages on my Debian installation
> using apt-get upgrade. When I ran that the first time it downloaded
> all of the packages and installed a number of them, before crashing
> saying that "dpkg returned an error code (1)". Whenever I try and run
> apt-get upgrade again I get the following message:
>
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
>   mplayer
> 1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> 231 not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0 B/6,280 kB of archives.
> After this operation, 8,012 kB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

> It says that 231 packages are not fully installed or removed, which
> suggests to me that the upgrade process failed half way through. The
> thing is - I can't find out how to get it to restart again, and how
> to install/remove the 231 packages that need dealing with? All of my
> google searches are turning up forum posts that are either very old,
> or don't help at all.
>
> Any ideas how I can get this upgrade properly done?

personally I use aptitude update, followed by aptitude safe-upgrade as
aptitude seems to do a better job of tracking dependencies but I am
aware that using apt-get is now the default way.

Did it not continue when you replied 'Y, enter'??

You could try 'apt-get remove mplayer' then 'apt-get upgrade' again in
case it is that package blocking things, You can always re-install
mplayer or get an alternative, I use vlc or guayadeque.

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid