Re: [Hampshire] Laptop Linux distro recommendations

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Laptop Linux distro recommendations
On 29/10/11 16:09, Paul Tansom wrote:
> I think the changes to Unity in 11.10 are a positive move, but for me it is
> still seriously lacking in basic functionality.

Hi Paul,

I've been with Ubuntu in one form or another on and off since the first
public release, and I'm not sure I agree with you.

And whilst it might eventually turn out to be the case, i.e. a good and
positive move, right now I find the awkwardness and ease-of-use issues
around Unity a real and frequent stumbling block.

Personally I think it should still be a choice, with a readily available
fall back to tried and tested interfaces. By making it the default and
forcing people through hoops to get back to something a little less
awkward and unpolished I think Ubuntu has taken a big step back where
hitherto its progress has been mostly forward and just occasionally static.

However, I do get on reasonably well with Unity on my netbook, where my
usage is pared down to a relatively few things compared to the desktop,
and suspect that the main problem with it is that it has been pushed to
the fore a little too soon for the comfort of many.

That said, my wife and eldest son get on with it reasonably well on
their laptops, but then their use is pretty much restricted to Web,
email and the odd bit of word processing. Ellen, my eldest girl, gets on
very well with Linux Mint, which will hopefully see her through uni
before we think of upgrading.

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk