Re: [Hampshire] Gnome 3

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Gnome 3
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 22:25:10 +0100
Jonathan Hudson <jh+hlug@???> wrote:

> It's Debian's Gnome that is at fault. You do not get this behaviour
> with Arch or Ubuntu.

Enough is enough, I have installed XFCE4 and switched to using that on
my main system as well as my backup system.

The last straw was that "Workplaces" seems to be broken, with running
applications not staying in the workplace I open them in.

I read someplace (I got to it from Plane Gnome) that one dev thought
workplaces weren't used so dynamic ones would be OK. I also disliked
the vertical alignment used "cos it more like the way you read or
somesuch"

At least with XFCE I can have a work place switcher in a panel and can
choose if it should be at top or bottom of screen. I can click on the
switcher to select the one I want or use the keyboard short cuts that
suit me, ie left or right instead of up or down keys

I haven't started purging Gnome from the system just yet, but chances
are I will!

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid