Re: [Hampshire] Gnome 3

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Gnome 3
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 17:02:35 +0100
Stuart Sears <stuart@???> wrote:

> On 19/10/11 15:51, john lewis wrote:
> [...]
> > Ooops! I thought it was working but it aint!
> >
> > It works with file manager but not in any text editing I've tried,
> > for example I still need to use Ctrl-Del in this mail app and in a
> > terminal window.
>
> to delete text in a terminal? I certainly don't need to do that
> (stock GNOME3 , fedora 15). I have made no changes.
>
> Methinks something more fundamental than GNOME3 is getting in the way
> here.

I am a bad typist, I make lots of keying errors even when typing
something as basic as 'aptitude safe-upgrade' I spot the error and
attempt to use Del to remove the incorrect character but cannot unless
I backspace or use ctrl-del or the numeric pad del.

This problem occurs if I type text in an email as now or in a Google
search box or in a word processor.

the DEL key is broken in gnome 3 in Debian. I know nothing of other
distros, I have used nothing but Debian since 2000.

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid