[Hampshire] Gnome 3

Author: john lewis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Gnome 3
it looks like gnome 3 is currently moving into Sid with lots of packages
like:-

Setting up gnome-shell (3.0.2-5) ...
Setting up gnome-session-bin (3.0.2-3) ...
Setting up gnome-session (3.0.2-3) ...
Setting up gnome-power-manager (3.0.2-2) ...

being installed today when I did my daily 'aptitude safe-upgrade'

I am not going to shut-down the desktop to try out Gnome 3 just yet but
will wait for a week or so to make sure any glitches get sorted out ;-)

Then we'll see if Gnome 3 is usable on this system and more important -
can I get it looking the way I want? I want no icons on the desktop and
six work-spaces, I like to run each application in its own workspace and
switch between with left or right -> keys.

I haven't quite got a desk-top with no icons in Gnome 2. I cannot see
any way in System Preferences to remove the 'Computer' 'User's Home'
and 'Wastebasket' icons. They should be removable as they are only
links to the File Browser app.

It was easy to remove them in XFCE4. The only annoyance in XFCE4 is the
launcher thingy at the bottom of screen but it can be hidden so it's
not too obtrusive.

I like the fact a left click on the desktop pops up an application menu
in XFCE4 since that takes me back to the way I used to work when
WindowMaker was my preferred window manager.

I have a back-up desktop system running XFCE4 and the Compaq N160
running LXDE so I can easily compare the three alternatives. I have to
admit the easy reconfigurability of XFCE makes it an easy winner over
LXDE, but LXDE is less resource hungry so more suitable for the rather
elderly Compaq.

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid