Re: [Hampshire] Data Destruction

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Data Destruction
On 7 October 2011 10:55, Alan Pope <alan@???> wrote:
> On 7 October 2011 10:53, Benjie Gillam <benjie@???> wrote:
>> On 7 Oct 2011, at 10:30, Alan Pope wrote:
>>> Use DBAN and get on with your life :D
>>
>> Get on with your life after the many hours it takes to run...
>>

> I wouldn't advocate watching that particular pot boil, no.
>
>> Assuming you're not intending to reuse or redistribute it, and that you have or can borrow a sledgehammer: sledgehammer it and get on with your life, it's not just faster, but cheaper and easier too, and better for the environment... and more fun! :D
>>

> Why would you not reuse or redistribute it once you've wiped it?
>
> I fail to see how smashing a working device up is better for the
> environment than anything.
>
> I can see how it can be fun though :)
>
> Al.

I bought a mobile phone on ebay. It works very nicely, but
unfortunately, it contained a lot of rather interesting photos of the
previous owner.
I could have had a lot of fun on facebook with them! But, I am not
that sort of person.

For this situation, simply zeroing out the phone storage partition
that contained the pictures would have been enough. I would not have
bothered to try any forensic techniques on the device.
Interestingly, now days, it is far more easy to recover previously
deleted/overwritten data on flash sticks than HDs.