Re: [Hampshire] Data Destruction

Top Page
Author: Damian L Brasher
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Data Destruction

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57365100.hantslug.org.uk.7281': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Oct 6 21:39:44 2011 BST
gpg: using RSA key E5B6AC918A7E551C
On Thu, 2011-10-06 at 18:46 +0100, Rob Malpass wrote:

> Essentially without a safe data shredding program, I'm going to use
> truecrypt to create an encrypted partition over whatever data was
> there beforehand. AFAIK this must overwrite what was there with a
> blank drive (not just a new partition table) which could only be
> accessed if they guessed my truecrypt encrypted password. So at
> best, someone could only ever get back to the blank encrypted drive -
> not the ntfs partition that was there before I "formatted" it with
> truecrypt.
>

> I guess anything's possible but how decent a solution is this?

Try #shred --help

after booting from some kind of SA distro, like GRML.

Increasing the number iterations then using the -z option to zero is
thorough.

Modern hard drive IDE's map logical sectors to physical sectors and can
make adjustments automatically. I don't know to what extent this affects
data destruction using operating system level tools.

Linux LUKS is a oss way to encrypt partitions. Have not attempted to
shred a LUKS protected partition yet, I do know encrypted partitions
need to be cloned at a byte level.

Magnets and heat will distort the magnetic orientation of the disk
platter which constitute the bits of storage.

Damian

--
Interlinux Engineering Foundation http://www.interlinux.org.uk

Central, non-trading, administration, governance and dissemination of
foundation intellectual property and know-how.

GPG 8A7E551C