Re: [Hampshire] Gaining feedback

Author: Tim Brocklehurst
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Gaining feedback

On Tue, October 4, 2011 10:23 am, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> Currently this process uses Excel for people to enter their comments,
> and then we import the Excel comments into a database.
> The problem is that the Excel format does not seem to be restrictive
> enough. I.e. We wish to restrict some fields to specific range of
> values etc.

Excel can do combo-boxes (as a part of forms) for data selection. You
should be able to find out how using google.

> The solution must also be stand alone. I.e. Not web server or web
> service/clound based.
> I.e. A person with a laptop that is not connected to the network
> should be able to raise comments.

Until I read this I would have suggested PHP and a web-server. There are
loads of helpdesk/bugtracking/comment type systems around for that. Is the
internet/network issue really that fixed?

The other suggestion is to write a GUI front-end to provide some options
and text-boxes. However, you may have fun deploying this, but writing the
code itself is not hard if you use something like QT4 / GTK etc.

Tim B.
--
OpenPilot - Open-source Marine Chart Plotter
openDynamics - Open-source Vessel Motions Calculation