Re: [Hampshire] Firewall distributions

Author: Ian Park
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Firewall distributions
On 14/09/11 16:33, WESEMEYER STEPHEN wrote:
> Hi Ian,
>

> On 14 September 2011 15:09, Ian Park <i.d.c.park@???
> <mailto:i.d.c.park@ntlworld.com>> wrote:
>
>     I've been running firewall distributions for a good few years now on an
>     old Compaq low profile box (Pentium III, 500 MHz) which I bought from
>     Jamie's. I started with Smoothwall v2.0, and added extra RAM when I
>     upgraded to Smoothwall v3.0; it now has 512MB RAM and a 6.3GB HDD.
>     <snip>
>     Can anyone suggest an alternative route to where I want to be (i.e. the
>     equivalent of IPCop with red, green and blue interfaces), please? I
>     suppose in the end I could just stick a wired network card in the IPCop
>     box and hook up to an external wireless access point, but that would
>     mean using another power socket, and I already use about 18 in this
>     room...

>     Thanks in advance for any help

>     Ian

> I haven't used it at all and hence don't know whether it is any good but
> have you looked at:
>
> http://www.ipfire.org
>
> which, I believe, is a fork IPCop and according to
>
> http://www.ipfire.org/about (click on firewall tab)
>
> supports what you want. Furthermore, it looks as if it gets updated
> regularly (unlike IPCop):
>
> http://downloads.ipfire.org/older
>

> Cheers,
> Steve
>

> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???

Thanks very much, Stephen - that looks interesting. I'll have to think
carefully about the logistics of getting an IPFire box working while
still maintaining my IPCop box; She Who Must Be Obeyed would get upset
if we lost the internet connection while I changed over the existing box
from IPCop to IPFire...

Cheers

Ian
--