Re: [Hampshire] natty - 2 weird things

Author: Ian Grody
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] natty - 2 weird things
On Sunday 11 September 2011 16:46:50 Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>

> For reasons of speed, I've not had chance to google this thoroughly so I do
> apologise if this is a well known bug - well 2 bugs actually...
>

> I'm running Ubuntu natty inside Virtualbox (host is Windows 7 fwiw). 2
> problems:
>
> 1) For some reason, the top bar (whatever it's called - the one with
> Accessories Places System etc) changes from the usual brownish background
> to greyish before my very eyes - and I promise I have not setup a
> different theme!

Probably a bug. But try enabling 3D hardware acceleration, give it a fair
amount of video memory (16/32 should do). You will also need to install the
guest additions/addons to make this work properly. Or you could turn off all
the fancy rendering from compiz or whatever does it now.

> 2) Far more serious - I'm making changes to the network configuration (I
> want a static ip address and its default is dhcp) using network connections
> on the system menu and either
>
>             2a) It's disregarding the changes I make i.e. I change the ip
> address, then I

>                         do a ifconfig or cat /etc/resolv.conf and see no
> changes!

>             2b) I give it perfectly acceptable ip address, subnet mask,
> gateway and

>                         it still can't find the network.

> It's probably something obvious - so as I say - apologies if so - but if
> anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful.

It's probably NetworkManager having a spazz attack. It can be a notorious pain
in the backside. You could try adding an entry to "/etc/network/interfaces" to
manually configure the link, this will also cause NetworkManager to completely
ignore it. "man interfaces" will tell you all you need to know :-)

Depends on the type of network you have attached the VM too. I usually always
use bridge, as it will virtually place it on the same network segment as the
rest of your LAN. Most tend to go for NAT, as to "hide" it behind the host.
NAT does force use of DHCP, I don't know if it will allow VM's that static IP
through the NAT tho. Try bridged and using the same network range as your LAN.
(You can firewall on the host to protect the VM/LAN if you're worried)

> Cheers
>
> Rob

Hope this helps :-)