Re: [Hampshire] DDoS survival strategies

Author: Freaky Clown
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DDoS survival strategies
Forgive me for not reading teh entire post as I currently do not have
the time (i shall no doubt put my foot in my mouth) but I have
digressed enough.

I have to say that due to the nature of my job, the use of website GET
requests to DDoS attack a site is becoming more rare, in the future
even with IPv6, i can see it becoming used even less - the current
field of attacks and a massively greater success is in the field of
DDoSing the webserver in a different manner e.g resource hogging. In
fact I was present only the other day during a conference where such a
new tool was demonstrated to effectively take down a powerful
webserver with a single IP with a 3g dongle, thankfully as yet this
tool remains in teh hands of professionals and not the public domain.
Alot of these new style attacks can not currently be stopped with out
massive amounts of resources, even so I have seen demonstrations
showing that even the "big boys" out there can not stop this type of
resource of attack.

so what does the future hold? well with ipv6 it just means the Chinese
and the PLA will use a beowulf cluster of fridges and toasters (not
the amiga one) and what ever bloody else gets a net presence to drain
the resources of your puny web server.

just my two cents from the other side of the fence :)