[Hampshire] "Good old" SCSI?

Author: Rob Malpass
To: 'Hampshire LUG Discussion List'
Subject: [Hampshire] "Good old" SCSI?
Hi all

Are SCSI devices worth the bother nowadays?

>From last week's post (and thanks for replies) it seems tape is the way and

that USB drives are around £200 for the drive unit. I can get a SCSI
Ultrium drive much more cheaply and the tapes aren't that pricey either at a
fiver each.

This means I can either get a SCSI card or a USB to SCSI adapter. I'm
slightly worried by this because I thought (and I may well be wrong) that
SCSI was bronze age tech and could, at times, be a pain to get working.
ISTR that you need to get a SCSI terminator from somewhere to make it all
work - and indeed an old SCSI card might mean I struggle to find drivers.

So in short - I guess my question is: Is SCSI so old it's not worth
bothering with?

I do need to keep the costs down - but not so much that I make an
uneconomical decision.

Cheers

Rob