Re: [Hampshire] Backup solution - SDLT worth it?

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Backup solution - SDLT worth it?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56b73100.hantslug.org.uk.27547': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Aug 1 12:05:49 2011 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hello,

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 07:58:14PM +0100, Tim Brocklehurst wrote:
> The real question, is whether to treat the backup as a mirror, or whether
> to keep older versions of files for a period of time.

There is no question for me: If you don't have historical copies,
you don't have a backup. The most common data loss issues are human
error and if your sync time passes before that is noticed then you
don't have any backups of the data any more.

No argument that most problems are quickly fixed by having an
additional copy of data immediately to hand, because most problems
are detected quickly. But data loss events are rare catastrophic
occurrences anyway, so the argument that it will almost always be
good enough is not, er, good enough. :)

If you have rsync ability at both ends then this is really easy to
do anyway, so it's not worth not doing it IMHO. rsnapshot,
rdiff-backup, backuppc, etc.

Cheers,
Andy