Re: [Hampshire] Scanner/Printer recommendations or problems?

Author: Paul Tansom
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Scanner/Printer recommendations or problems?
** AdamC <kabads@???> [2011-07-27 13:54]:
> On 27 July 2011 12:16, Paul Tansom <paul@???> wrote:
> > ** AdamC <kabads@???> [2011-07-26 18:38]:
> >> I'm looking at purchasing a scanner and thought I may as well go up to
> >> date and get a built in printer too (my ageing HP Desktop is
> >> struggling with the heavier use that wife and kids are giving it).
> >>
> >> My main reason for purchasing the scanner functionality is to become
> >> more paper free and store documents digitally, so ideally, I'd like a
> >> quick scanner which is easy to set up and can get through documents
> >> quickly.
> > <<snip>>
> >> Does anyone have any experience of any printer/scanner that they could
> >> recommend for a multi OS environment? I'm also interested in the cost
> >> of the ink, so wouldn't want to get an expensive to run printer.
> > ** end quote [AdamC]
> > I've recently acquired a HP Officejet 8500A [1] which I'm very happy with. I
> > think the link is the correct model, it's the A910g [2] according to the
> > driver, but the model on the web panel it references model number CM756A [1].
> > If I'm vague it's because I didn't pay for it, but won it :) It is quite
> > pricey, but the other model (somewhat cheaper) looks pretty similar - I've no
> > idea what the differences are.
> >
> > Anyway, I've always found HP pretty supportive on the Linux driver front, and
> > this one is quite happy printing from Linux over the network. It scans quite
> > happily over the network from Gimp as well (I've not played with other apps,
> > but it is xsane based). The only feature lacking support is the fax, but I've
> > not been too worried about that and have either done it from Windows or
> > straight from the feeder.
> >
> > One of the big bonuses for me is the stand alone scanning, which it does quite
> > happily to a network folder on my Linux server and will save as JPG or PDF.
> > Multiple pages can be scanned to a single PDF. It handles duplex printing and
> > scanning via the ADF and easily scans single sided sheets to double sided
> > printouts.
> >
> > Personally I seem to be using it more to scan documents to PDF on the server
> > than printing! So far I've not finished the supplied low capacity cartridges,
> > which aren't mega cheap, but at least I can buy individual colours now and not
> > the tri-colour one I was stuck with before.
> >
> > [1] http://www.amazon.co.uk/Officejet-8500A--All--Enabled-Printer/dp/B003VYB718/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1311712483&sr=1-3
> > [2] http://www.amazon.co.uk/Officejet-8500A--All--Enabled-Printer/dp/B003VYB70Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1311712483&sr=1-1
>
> That sounds like everything I want, but is a little over my wife's
> price range. However, we have saved over the last 17 years worth of
> printers so perhaps I can try and persuade her. Congrats on your win.
>
> How large is the HP Officejet 8500A? I don't have a great deal of
> space for this at the moment, but could manage to rearrange a space
> for it?

** end quote [AdamC]

It could be worth checking out the other models in the range, and the 7500 and
6500 series to see what features they have for a reduced price. Size wise it is
pretty big - although not as massive as my colour laser which arrived on a
pallet many years ago! Rough measurements give me a basic footprint of 50cm
wide by 40cm deem with the paper tray (which can hang out over a table edge.
You nead to bear in mind that the paper tray really needs an extrac 4cm to pull
out the extension to catch the paper properly, and allow another 10cm at the
back for the scanner lid to hinge up (which includes the document feeder so is
quite big. Mines a bit close at the back so I have to slide it forward if I'm
scanning something that doesn't go through the feeder.

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: