Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Network Query

Author: Peter Andrijeczko
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Network Query
Just my two cents worth...

I bought a couple of Belkin powerline adapters about 18 months ago to
replace some older ones, they started off being slower than the ones they
were replacing.

I discovered there was new firmware for them, installed that and they worked
much better but were still not as fast as I had hoped they would be and
needed resetting about once a week.

Downstairs next to the BT Home Hub, the powerline is plugged straight into
the wall socket, but upstairs the correspnding one was plugged into a
multi-plug adapter, a Belkin surge master one. I did some investigation on
the web and discovered that they don't like surge protection, so moved it to
a cheapo standard adapter. Since then they've worked perfectly and I cannot
remember the last time I had to reset them.

So it's worth checking firmware on your powerlines and definitely move them
off of any surge protection extension sockets.

Regards

Peter